The University Foundation is the meeting place
- for all academics in Belgium,
- for academics and members of civil society,
- for academics in Belgium, foreign academics and members of international organizations.
The various initiatives of the University Foundation are described on this website. For some parts of the website that are not relevant for international visitors there is no English version.
In the spring of 2016 a third series of three lunch debates is organized as a continuation of the initiative "A World of Cities".
Monday 2 May 2016 at 12.30 pm : Lunch debate on «How to narrow the gap between the work place and the living quarter in a productive city».
Monday 6 June 2016 at 12.30 pm : Lunch debate on «More roads, more vehicles, more congestion: which solutions?»
Moreover on Wednesday 13 April 2016 a study day is organized, consisting of a site visit in the morning, a lunch debate and a symposium in the afternoon.
The next edition of the Ethical Forum will take place on Thursday November 17, 2016. More information on www.ethicalforum.be.
Re-Bel intends to organize the following study day at the University Foundation:
- Thursday June 16, 2016 : two topics : Terrorism and Belgium's institutions & Belgium's regions going international: a fiasco?
Information on www.rethinkingbelgium.eu.
For further information on the activities please see the Dutch or French section of the website.
Tuesday May 10, 216: Full day excursion to Ghent: Museum of Fine Arts, Het Pand (Ghent University), Museum for the History of Medicine. (CANCELLED)
For the concerts the concerts of the Queen Elisabeth competition, the concerts at Bozar and the operas at La Monnaie for the present academic year the reader is referred to the relevant news item.
Since La Monnaie is closed for the greater part of the 2015-2016 season for renovation, we have taken an option on good seats for:
- Opera "La Bohème" (Vlaamse Opera, Gent), Tuesday January 19, 2016 at 8 pm.
- Opera "Idomeneo" (Vlaamse Opera, Antwerp), Tuesday May 10, 2016 at 7.30 pm.
Planned cultural trips
- Monday May 16 to Wednesday May 25, 2016: Cultural trip to Georgia, guided by rector COULIE. (registration closed)
- Wednesday September 14 to Sunday September 18, 2016: Cultural trip to Berlin, guided by Prof. Michel Flamee. (registration closed)
For further information please see the French or Dutch web pages.
In the spring of 2015 the University Foundation and "la Fondation pour l’environnement urbain Pierre Laconte", organized a first cycle of lunch debates on the theme «A World of Cities» for the members of the Foundation and also for a broader public (faculties, economic, social and cultural organisations, ...).
This initiative and this collaboration was continued in the autumn of 2015 with a new cycle of three lunch debates with a broader scope.
In the spring of 2016 a third series of three lunch debates is organized.
- Friday 11 March 2016 at 12.30 pm : Lunch debate on «Mobility and commercial activity facing technological progress».
- Monday 2 May 2016 at 12.30 pm : Lunch debate on «How to narrow the gap between the work place and the living quarter in a productive city».
- Monday 6 June 2016 at 12.30 pm : Lunch debate on «More roads, more vehicles, more congestion: which solutions?»
For further information please see the Dutch or French section of the web site.
The 14th Ethical Forum took place at the University Foundation on November 12, 2015, and addressed the question "Too many students? On the purpose, legitimacy and adequacy of university entry and orientation tests". The ecvent was very successful, with very good presentations and a lively discussion.
Professor Walter Van Gerven, for many years president of the jury for the Fernand Collin Prize for Law, passed away on July 12, 2015.
In an offical ceremony at the University Foundation on Tuesday December 16, 2014, the biannual Fernand Collin Prize for Law was awarded to dr. Tom Decaigny for his Ph. D. thesis “Tegenspraak in het vooronderzoek. Een onderzoek naar de meerwaarde van een vroege participatie van de verdachte in de Belgische strafprocedure”, Intersentia, 2013, 719 p. He obtained his Ph. D. friom the VUB in 2013 and was supervised by Professor Paul De Hert.
The composition of the jury was as follows: H. Bocken (chairman), K. Byttebier, H. Cousy, A. De Nauw, P. Popelier, H. Swennen, M. Van Damme, W. Van Eeckhoutte, W. Van Gerven, I. Verougstraete, J. Wouters and A. Wylleman.
Professor Louis Baeck, honorary Executive Director of the University Foundation, passed away on November 29, 2014, at the age of 86, at his home in Heverlee.
Louis Baeck was Professor of world and development economics at KU Leuven and was the author of a large number of books and scientific papers in his field.
From 1982 to 2001 he was the Executive Director of the University Foundation. During his tenure he carried out an extensive renovation of the University Foundation's infrastructure (meeting rooms and hotel facilities), while respecting the historic tradition and style of the building. He was very attached to the Foundation and he was proud to have been able to contribute to its restructuring in order to prepare for the challenges of the 21st century.